We live, learn, and work in a world that is increasingly diverse. It is our diversity that adds depth, richness, and excitement to the experience of being a part of the Duke community.
As the demographic landscape continues to shift, we receive more opportunities to expand our skills for working effectively with people who have different worldviews, perspectives, backgrounds, values, and experiences. Creating a climate where everyone feels valued, respected, and included is more important than ever.
How We Can Help
The Office for Institutional Equity offers a wide array of services to address questions that the Duke community may have, such as:
- How do we work successfully with people from different backgrounds, age groups, work experiences, values, and beliefs?
- How can we understand and leverage our differences and similarities?
- How can we effectively tap into the creativity and innovation found within a diverse team environment?
- What skills will we need to harness the power of multiple viewpoints and different life experiences to increase innovation, creativity, and high-performance results?
- What are the qualities of a welcoming work culture and environment that enables diversity to thrive and flourish?
We partner with leaders, administrators, managers, staff, and faculty across Duke University and Duke University Health System to address these types of questions to help facilitate a climate where all people feel comfortable and will celebrate their differences and similarities so they can truly feel that they “belong at the table."
Training and Workshops
Our staff provide expertise covering an expansive range of dynamic, adult-focused educational workshops and learning solutions for Duke departments and teams to help raise awareness, increase understanding and empathy, and enhance skill development to improve working and learning environments at Duke.
Learn more about our training and workshop offerings.
We offer various tools and approaches to help Duke leaders develop strategic plans that address the evolving needs of their organization. Through assessment tools, coaching, team building, and retreat facilitation, we help teams create environments where everyone feels respected, included, and safe.
Learn more about our long-term planning services.
If you have questions about our diversity and inclusion strategy services, please email Carla Peraza, Assistant to the Vice President for Institutional Equity & Office Manager, and she will connect you to the right person in our office.